29.2.12

David Hockney's Enduring Freshness















I find David Hockney's playful and free experiments with new technology  deeply moving. “I draw flowers every day on my iPhone and send them to my friends, so they get fresh flowers every morning. And my flowers last."  The way he took hold of the Iphone and then of the Ipad is fascinating. He uses the app Brushes but it took him a while to be able to play with all its possibilities of transparency. The flowers that his partner would buy every day and put on his bed table was a frequent subject but catching the light was his obsession. "The fact that the screen is illuminated makes you choose luminous subjects, or at least I did." A lot of these little works were done in the  early hours  in the morning. "I've got this lovely bedroom window, and the flowers are there and the light's changing. I go to bed when the sun goes down and wake when it starts getting light, because I leave the curtains open. The little drawings of the dawn are done while I'm still in bed. That's the window I see and the shutters." 
More on the parisian exhibition at Fondation Pierre Bergé Yves Saint Laurent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment